Here is a quick summary of the basic text entry rules. Try Edit to see formatting source of any page. Use WikiSandbox to practice.
- three tilde signs ~ are replaced by your user name
- four tilde signs ~ are replaced by your user name and the current time
- Add a blank line, then
- type your text
- when you get over on the right hand side of the text area just keep typing.
Or if you wish do entry linebreaks with <Return>, that's ok too.
When the browser displays the text, it will fill the lines and break them on the nearest word boundary until a blank line is reached.
Four or more "-" (hyphens) on a line will generate a horizontal line.
- With a WikiWord you automatically create a HyperLink reference to another page, the WikiWord if it exists, or create a new page for it.
- if you add << and a valid page reference then this page will get an automatic back link to your page, like I did with PeterSommerlad
- pages that are not named after a WikiWord can be added by enclosing their name in angular brackets [ ].. Note: spaces and special characters are not allowed in page names
Top heading in text, H1 reserved for page title
Subheading in text.
Sub-subheading, smallest useful
- (**) nested bullet level 2, etc.
- (#) number
- (##) nested number level 2, etc.
- (2.) explicit number version (common in imported text, but note that numbering will then be re-generated as the page is served)
- Definition list
- (:) level 1
- strong text (usually displays as bold) and emphasized text (usually italic)
So-called preformatted text can be inserted for special effects:
- Begin a line with one or more <spaces> and the text is assumed to be preformatted.
This line is preformatted
and so is this one.
Note that the browser doesn't merge them as before.
because by adding the space the text is,
You might also notice that the font changed from a proportional one to a fixed one but that is a matter determined by the browser or style sheet
longer program text could be included by using four ==== signs at the beginning of a line it ends with the same symbol
a blockquote should be this?
deleted text and use plus and minus with brackets surrounding the text within a line.
code font should give you in-line fixed widt font.
> quoting as in emails should also work
> let us see
this is no more quoted